2018 probably is the best year ever so far. Many things happen and I am so grateful with all of the luck I had during 2018. Graduated Master was the first and most important aim last year. I wasnt really rushing into getting a job as I was focusing spending my time with my family. I know that if I started working sooner, I will have lesser time with my parents. I decided to stay home, do all the things I wanted to do. Go on trips with my family and really appreciated all the moments together.
I submitted my hardbound thesis 5 days before raya which was in June. Then I tasted freedom and didnt think about anything. All I did was enjoying the time. I really didnt think about getting a job sooner. In fact I was really scared to find one. I had experienced this kind of feeling when I finished my degree. I wasnt confident with myself to start working. I feel so small and scared as the responsibility in real world wouldnt only affected me, but it would affect the company, people surround me and third party. The bigger the responsibility, the heavier the burden I'll feel. I wasnt ready. That was one of a reason I went to pursue my master, but as soon as it finished, I became blanked. I was at the same starting point like when I finished degree. I had no where to run. I didnt want to go for phd. I had enough of studying. I never had any job experience so I was thinking it will be hard for me to find job. I was starting to belittle myself and think negative. I know many people struggle to find job nowadays with the economy. So I said the longer I wait, the harder and more loss I will feel.
Therefore, I brace myself and started to submit my resume to big companies like DXC Technologies, Petronas ICT, Accenture, Deloitte, and one of audit company which I forgot its name. I got rejected on the spot by Accenture. No news from Deloitle and Petronas ICT and I got another rejected from DXC Technologies. I also ignore the email from the audit company as the requirement wasnt up to my expectation.
Getting rejected from companies sure hit me hard as I put high expectation. But I had to learn to be open and accepted. Then I stop searching for awhile. My calendar was full with activities that I dont want to mess it up if I got any job offer.
On 6th August 2018, I came across a website that list all of fresh graduate job. Graduan.com. From that website, I saw PB had 2 vacancies. I also remembered one of my friend on IG mentioned about Security Analyst in PB that accepts fresh graduate. I applied both position without putting any expectation, but deep inside I was aiming for security analyst position. It's my dream to become a security analyst. I really was just trying my luck. From that second, I remembered convincing myself over and over again about "If its yours, it will be yours. Have faith"
After a month of applying which I totally had forgot about this application, I got an email on 18th September from PB asking to come for interview on 25th September . I was at a hotel with my parents and as I was reading the email, I had no idea what to feel. Excited? Worried? Overwhelm? Scared? All in one. I never had any interview experience and the first interview is with a bank. What if I screw up? Despite all that, I replied right away that I would participate. Then I said, if I dont get into PB, there are plenty of other banks in Malaysia. Besides, the masters I have in hand is quiet valuable to many companies. Not only banks, I can go to any company I want. That is the advantage I have with this field.
25th September 2018. It can become one of the historical day in my 25 years of existence. I went to the interview at the Menara. I have no idea how much prayers I recited on that day and how many times I convinced myself. I didnt prepared enough. All I was thinking is just be confident with myself and take this moment as an experience. If I didnt get accepted its fine, at least the experience is what matters and later I can learn from the mistake for future reference. My interview was at 3.30 pm. I had my parents drove me off to the company. At the entrance, I was mesmerized by the office and the security. To work in this company, woww. It would be so cool.
The interview was quiet short. The person before me took 30 minutes but mine were only 20 minutes. The questions were pretty common. What is the biggest treat in IT? What is your biggest strength? Why did you continue master? If you didnt get into security analyst, would it be fine to accept any job offer? In which I replied, I would just accept any job at the moment as I am in no position to be picky. I dont mind doing anything but I would definitely go back to information security as it is what I learnt during degree and master. It would be a waste as I spent 7 years studying about it but went to different field.
The interviewers were 2 Chinese ladies. The other candidates were also Chinese. I felt small and no confidence that I will get accepted. After getting out of the interview room. I took a time a while to reflect all the answers and how I had reacted. Maybe those can be improve for future interview sessions. Maybe the answers I gave were kind of cliche and other people might answer it differently. After the interview I had another job interview at Gates IT as a tester. I said, if I didnt get PB, maybe Gates will accept me.
I went to Gates interview and did pretty okay. They wanted to offer me as a tester but with no job experience all they can offer was a SLIM. I kinda felt a little disappointing, but I told myself, "Its fine, I didnt really do job hunting like you wanted before. There are plenty of companies that I havent tried. So maybe after I graduate I can start searching for more." At the same time I emailed PB HR to get the answer from my interview after a week, but none returned.
On 16.10.2018. The day that changed my life. As I thought PB rejected my offer and was about to accept Gates offer I got a phone call from PB asking to submit a declaration form in a week. If everything went smoothly I will get the job and can start working. I was so sure I wanted to go for PB as I know my future will be brighter and PB as a platform, sounds great as well. The next day, I rejected Gates offer to participate in SLIM program right away. My heart is already with PB. Bye bye Gates.
22.10.2018, I got phone call from PB asking to do medical check up at the company.
29.10.2018 I went to medical check at the Ambank right next to PB and the HR gave me the contract and went through with me one by one. I also signed the acceptance letter.
1.11.2018 The first day I went to work.
Everything went smoothly and I have been so grateful about the journey. I could never ask for a better opportunity and the lesson learnt from this is where I put trust in God and myself. I said "If its meant to be it will be". I learnt to put less expectation and trust at the same time. I keep positive thinking and be prepared with whatever may comes. I also felt very lucky with the fate I have.
Tomorrow marks 3 months of my working journey with PB. I will keep striving and learn many more things to be an expert in this field I've choose since degree. I am hunger for more experiences and knowledge. I teach myself to love what I do and never think negatively and complain even a bit about my work. I want to do it sincerely and accept all the hardship that may comes. I once told myself, I would give my all for whatever company that will choose me for my first job. Then PB you're very lucky to employ a loyal person like me. 👀
No comments :
Post a Comment